Is 59:19

So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him. [or, shall put him to flight]

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Recalled to Life?

It's been over a year since I posted saying I would start writing again. I'll be real: I'm not promising anything here. But I don't want this blog to die. It has some history, a small readership, and well, it's valuable to me, even if it is neglected by me.

I recently discovered Poets and Writer's Magazine. And I was reminded of something obvious but forgotten: I am a writer. Life has a way of pressing us with short term and shallow issues and somewhere between the gas pump and the grocery store we can forget what we were made for. One of the things I was made for is writing, and I've been neglecting that pursuit. Can a blog satisfy my need to write? I doubt it. But it could get my creative stream started again, and for that purpose it is worthwhile.

Kim Addonizio, one of my favorites in the world of poetry, wrote a book entitled Ordinary Genius: A Guide for the Poet Within. It is essentially a book about process, but it includes many, many wonderful exercises designed to engage the mind and memory and help us get something on the page. I want to engage those exercises. I want my mind to work again, the way it was meant to work, with words.

So offer me grace as I attempt to recall this blog to life. Maybe it has been in a cocoon and will come out a butterfly. Or maybe it will cease to be worth time and become a catch-all; my notebook of rough drafts in need of revision--or the trash can.

We shall see...

No comments: