Is 59:19

So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him. [or, shall put him to flight]

Monday, May 21, 2007

Homeade Ice Cream and Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I am away it is so easy to forget the meaning of home. At school I am so caught up in myself. I must finish this assignment, I must be here, I need this, I’m going to do that.

But home is about community. It is about being together, loving others, sharing everything, giving of one’s time, effort, and sympathy.

Home is where I belong. It is a safe haven from the things that would steal my peace and satisfaction. It is a refuge from selfishness, that nasty creature which destroys true joy.

Yesterday we played charades as a family. We laughed till we hurt. Mom even had tears running down her cheeks. Of course Sullivan had no clue what was going on, but he joined in just the same.

Yesterday was like a holiday. I played monopoly with Cher, Ray and Mo for awhile…Ray and Mo quit, and I slaughtered Cher. I won monopoly for the first time in ages! I was actually impressed with myself.

Cher and I played piano duets, too. Then I made homemade ice cream.

And last night, I sat up with my parents and Cher, talking. We talked about lots of things: American history, writing, having children, what a chain reference is, being alone. I went to bed feeling more myself than I ever do at school.

And today I made chocolate chip cookies and zucchini bread. Now Cher wants me to sing with her. I answer yes with all of my heart.

It is good to have a home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right! And you are a good writer!