Is 59:19

So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him. [or, shall put him to flight]

Monday, May 28, 2007

Richest Man on Earth/The Unknown.

Paul Overstreet wrote some lyrics I find to be too true:

"...all the money in the world won't hold you when you fall

We've got a roof over our head,
And the kids have all been fed,
And the woman I love most lies close beside me in my bed.
Lord give me the eyes to see exactly what it's worth
And I will be the richest man on earth."


Isn't this what home is all about? My experiences at home are some of the best I can desire for myself. Having my own home, husband and children is one of my dearest dreams. God's gifts are a delight.

But there sometimes comes a moment when we face the unknown. Filled with the goodness and overflowing with the blessings of God, we suddenly find ourselves in a situation of great need and fear. There are times when "all the money in the world won't hold you when you fall."

It is then that God Himself must fulfill our longings. All to often, I believe, we get caught up in the delights of God's gifts and forget to delight in God Himself. If we praise Him for His gifts, we are on the right track. If we take his blessings greedily we are not.

God is enough.

His blessings are an expression of His heart toward us. He cares about us, and chooses, in His own timing and way, to give the blessings He sees fit. He may give a different thing to each, yet He gives lovingly to all. To quote Facing the Giants: "He just throws in the state championship because He can."

Our God is BIG. He can handle the toughest parts of life. He can handle death, pain, tears, shattered hearts, sin.

He conquered it all. It is finished.

No comments: