Is 59:19

So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him. [or, shall put him to flight]

Friday, June 29, 2007

Praises in Heaven

I've been busy. I love my blog, but I love my family more, and I had a migraine. It was freaky. My face got numb. Have you ever had your face get numb?! Well, if you have you know how freaky it is. So....that's why I've been ignoring you all! But here I am, I'm back...

And I want to talk about one of my beloved musicians. Rich Mullins.

Rich Mullins published quite a few albums before he died. I love them all, but I am especially fond of "Never Picture Perfect" and "the Jesus Record" which he didn't get to finish before he died. But the songs are still there, their meaning rich as Rich himself. But my ultimate favorite is his album that links songs about America with the order of the liturgy. "A Liturgy, A Legacy, and A Ragamuffin Band." You should buy it.

I love Rich Mullin's music. It is full of scriptural references, full of feeling and heart, and it has a fresh, an experienced, way of looking at Christ. It is true music, because it comes from a redeemed heart.

I love Rich Mullin's music because it is real music, by a real musician. Rich wrote more than the lyrics. He wrote more than the melody. Rich was a real musician, who played so many different folk instruments I don't think I can remember all of them. But his music has a solid foundation in the classics, and this makes it shine. He even uses my favorite Bach fugue in his song Sing Your Praise To The Lord.

I guess I'm just talking about him because I'm so sad that he is dead. Out of all the concerts I might go to, I would most want to see Rich Mullins. But he is in heaven. When I get there we will be praising together, for all eternity. Come, won't you join us? Keith Green is there too! And Luther, and Horatio Spafford, and Jim Elliott...

No comments: